Happy Mardi Gras, Y'all!


3 comments

Our Mission: To build a float for Emma's pre-k parade.

Growing up, my siblings and I always always always got A's on our projects because my dad loved the projects more than we did. Needless to say, I had many paper mache tutorials. So naturally, like father, like daughter, I was excited to build this float. And then pair my excitement with Dan's skills and fun determination, we set out to create a masterpiece. Oh and Emma said she would help too.

Emma loves the new Disney JR. show, Sofia the First. Dan thought it would be fun for Emma to be Sofia and we could build her flying horse Minimus.


Here we go:

we got some chicken wire and Dan molded the pieces of the horse around the wagon.



And then Emma and I used paper mache to cover the molded pieces. We used a mixture of flour and water to create the paste and then dipped newspaper strips in it.




The next day we painted all of the pieces. I already own a bunch of acrylic paint, which would have worked great, but instead we spent $4 on washable paint so that the kids could help and I wouldn't worry about the mess.




And then Thursday night we pieced it all together. And by we, I really mean Dan, he was awesome.

He attached all of the pieces, tied it all together, and used the purple duck tape to secure it. And yes, he even figured out how to make the wings flap!! Through all of this I continued to cheer him on and then I pulled out my handy dandy glue gun and attached the purple feather boa.



The next morning Emma woke up and was thrilled! So were we. My sweet friend Jess dropped off two bags filled with beads and other throws for Emma to use at her parade (thank you!) and then we headed up to school.


She had a wonderful time...she did get nervous when all of the big kids were shouting at her for her throws. But all in all in was a fun time!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!





3 comments

Leave a Reply